Skylight Visa was recommended by my employer last year, as they were trying to convert to only electronic payroll. You could choose your own bank, and if you did not have a bank or preferred to get you paycheck deposited elsewhere, Skylight was given as an option. I have a checking account, but prefer to keep my payroll separate, so I chose Skylight. Big mistake! Skylight is a prepaid debit card that makes it's money from fees. If you make more than 1 ATM withdrawal per pay period, it's going to cost you $2 (on top of what the ATM is going to charge). Need gas? You better make sure you have not only the amount that you're putting in gas, but whatever amount the gas station uses to authorize the transaction (usually $75-$100). If you only have the $30 you were planning to put in gas, your card will get declined & you will have to pay $1.50 fee. All of these fees seem pretty normal, but when you combine the horrible customer service when you call to inquire about these fees, plus no list of fees before or after they are incurred, and it seems like they can charge you whatever they please.
The breaking point for me was when I visited a "free of charge" ATM that was listed on their website. I was making a $120 withdrawal when the ATM malfunctioned & did not dispense any cash. A frustrating situation for sure. I called the company that owns the ATM who told me to contact my "bank" and have then file a Regulation E form. The CSR I spoke to could see that the ATM did indeed malfunction.
When I called Skylight Visa I was rudely told that I had to fax in basic information, and if the investigation showed that I had not received any cash, I MAY receive a provisional credit in 10 business days! They were so rude about it, and it seemed to me they were insinuating I was being dishonest by their attitude. I have had to file disputes 2 times with 2 different (real) banks, and they were always courteous & professional. Not with Skylight. All I can do now is wait & close my account after I get my money back...if I get my money back. I realize that these things must be investigated, but when you are being treated poorly while being told to wait, it makes a huge difference.
$120 is not much, but in these tough times, $120 could mean the difference between eating this week or not. Luckily $120 isn't breaking me, but I know it would mean a lot to some people. Especially to the consumer that prepaid cards target.
It's just shady business, especially when it seems like the 2 companies are in cohorts, when Skylight recommends you use this particular ATM to avoid fees. Yeah, right. It just cost me $120.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Prepaid Debit Card
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "This store along with several other stores or companies uses "Synchrony Bank" which is the new name for GE Money GE Capital Retail Money Bank GE Capital Retail Bank for..."
- "To Whom It May Concern: GE Capital Retail & Pay Pal continues to lie about funds taken out of my account. They have also started putting accounts overdue TWO days..."
- "On July 23, 2016, I filed a dispute with Netspend against Time Warner Cable for a service I did not receive. On August 9th, I followed up with Netspend to..."
- "So, usually when I hear the doorbell in the morning I'm excited for a delivery! Well, today a pair of shoes arrived that my fiance ordered for me. I sign..."
- "Pulled straight out of thr bah, no stray fries in the bottom of bag. This disrespect has got to STOP. I don't know why I keep giving you guys chances...."
- "I went to braums on my lunch break, and after sitting in line for 20+ minutes I get my large choc shake. As I'm drinking it on my way back..."
- "My husband bought me a Levian Chocolate diamond band for our three year wedding Anniversary back in April of this year. I have a beautiful engagement ring that was getting..."
- "I was in accident (my fault)....I have Geico (my fault).... I rear-ended the vehicle in front of me...my air bag went off as did the passenger curtain (no passenger). The..."
- "Purchased 2 wigs from this company, took forever to receive, then wigs looked nothing to what I ordered, spent $250 and they offered me $20!refund, I posted 1 wig back..."